Wednesday, October 07, 2009

How they understood ethnicity & race...

I have been trying to get my 7th graders to distinguish RACE and ETHNICITY.

After talking to my wife about this, she came up with a pretty cool (and simple!) idea.

I carried out this activity today.

It's been several weeks and they still had issues understanding the difference, therefore I couldn't begin to even introduce the Palestinian and Israelite issue in the Middle East.

After today's activity one of my kids says: "ohhhh like the Palestine and Israel people!"

My eyes must have sparkled.

I'm pretty sure a tear nearly made it out.

My smile would have been more powerful than the yellow sun and Superman would've been even more invincible ...

Then he said, "Like in the Zohan movie!"

And then he began to imitate Adam Sandler's last failure in movies, You Don't Mess With the Zohan.


Oh well

Zohan - 1
Me - 0

1 comment:

*-. aliCe .-* said...

you'd be surprised how hard it is to get people to understand that difference. i have to ask as part of our intake y es bien dificil. ni yo entendia hasta el otro dia!