Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Oscars 2010 - Best Picture

Ok I have seen these movies up until now:

AVATAR

PRECIOUS (Based on the novel PUSH by Sapphire)


THE HURT LOCKER

DISTRICT 9

UP

AN EDUCATION

A SERIOUS MAN

I can honestly say that I WOULD NOT recommend watching A Serious Man, District 9, or The Hurt Locker. I mean, they're not BAD, but they aren't good. I wouldn't pay to see them at a movie theater... actually I've only seen AVATAR at a movie theater. I downloaded the others because most of them haven't even arrived at our country.

Now ... An Education I thought was good. It was fun and didn't drag on too long. It's not mind blowing, it won't make you go crazy, but the acting was great and fun.

Avatar is Avatar. It's something huge and new and mind blowing, but the story is old. I'm a history teacher ... this made me think of the countless civilizations that have been run over by the "civilized" civilizations. I loved the effects and I loved the thousands of messages behind it, but I do not think it was the best on the list.

UP is beyond cute and funny. I loved it, it was fun for all ages. I think the message was sweet and I could re-watch it. I have to admit I teared up a bit in some parts, but I laughed at several others. Good movie for kids and adults.

... PRECIOUS ...

wow ... what a stellar performance, awesome ensemble. I hated Monique's character, wow she acted beautifully. I mean, Monique is funny, I've only seen her in comedic performances, this was great! Lenny Kravitz! I didn't even RECOGNIZE him, he added such a cool little character. Even Mariah Carey! Wow! Her performance was great ... to think before this movie she was known for GLITTER ... one of the worse movies ever filmed! But Gabourey Sidibe, the protagonist, just blew my mind. and this was her FIRST real job acting.

It is a TOUGH TOUGH movie to watch, it will hurt you, tear your insides out, but it's an excellent drama. I would pause it and cringe at times. I would feel like shit watching and feeling the pain, but all in all... it was great.

I truly truly hope this movie gets some awards... I haven't seen UP IN THE AIR or THE BLIND SIDE yet, but this movie was just so much better than the others I have seen. I know I heard Clooney and Bullock take the cake with these two, but I haven't seen em yet.

No comments: